The Ultimate Guide to Finding Job in Crypto
A comprehensive guide on how to get a job in the exciting and dynamic cryptocurrency industry. From research to portfolio building, learn the steps to advance your career.
Cryptocurrency and blockchain technology is changing the world as we know it. Despite the bull and bear cycles, the crypto industry is growing at a rapid pace, with no signs of slowing down.
As a result, the demand for professionals in this field is skyrocketing. And it's not just programmers and other IT-related professions who are in high demand. The crypto world offers opportunities for individuals with diverse skills and backgrounds, making it a field with tremendous growth potential for designers, copywriters, lawyers, economists, analysts, and more.
In this article, we'll dive into the steps you can take to get a job in the exciting and dynamic world of cryptocurrency.
Research the industry
It's time to get schooled! First up, you need to understand the fundamentals of this wild and crazy industry. From funky cryptocurrencies to groovy blockchain technology, there's so much to learn.
There are many resources available to learn the basics of the crypto industry:
- Online Courses: Platforms like Coursera, Udemy, and edX offer courses on blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies.
- Websites: Websites such as CoinBrain, CoinMarketCap or Blockchain.com provide comprehensive information on the crypto industry.
- Books: Books such as "Mastering Bitcoin" by Andreas M. Antonopoulos, "The Basics of Bitcoins and Blockchains" by Antony Lewis, and "Blockchain Basics" by Daniel Drescher are great resources for learning about the crypto industry.
- Industry Events: Attending conferences, meetups, and trade shows can provide valuable insights into the crypto industry and offer networking opportunities.
- Social Media: Following industry influencers, organizations, and companies on social media can help stay up-to-date on industry news and developments. @cz_binance, @VitalikButerin, @aantonop, @michael_saylor, or @CoinDesk.
- Follow News: Reputable news outlets such as CoinDesk or Cointelegraph provide regular coverage of the crypto industry.
Trust us, taking a few minutes to brush up on the basics now will pay off big time in the future. So, turn up the music and let's get this party started!
Networking in the crypto world can play a significant role in finding job opportunities or making business connections. The key to successful networking is to build relationships and establish credibility.
Here are some tips to help you network effectively in the crypto world:
- Meet People Through Other People: Stick around with the people you know who know the people you want to meet and use introductions to make connections.
- Leverage Social Media: Use social media platforms like LinkedIn and Twitter to get to know people in the crypto industry. Engage in conversations.
- Don’t Ask For A Job: Networking is not asking everyone you know for a job. Your goal should be to build a relationship so that when an opportunity arises, your contact may refer you.
- Get Feedback on Your Resume: Ask people you have established a relationship with to review your resume and give you feedback on how to improve it.
- Don’t Take Up Too Much Time: Before networking, have an agenda and keep the meeting on track. People appreciate professionalism and credibility.
- Let The Other Person Speak: Be a good listener and ask questions about their job and company culture.
- Find a Reason to Follow Up: Keep the relationship going by finding a reason to follow up with the person. Keep in touch regularly and offer value.
Remember that networking is an ongoing process and requires persistence, attention, organization, and good will. By incorporating these tips into your networking strategy, you can gain valuable connections and opportunities in the crypto world.
Build a Portfolio
Show off your crypto skills, experiences and values with a killer portfolio! Whether you're a trader, analyst or any other pro, having a portfolio can score you new job opportunities and show off your creativity, niche, and brand.
Go digital or physical with popular sites like WordPress, Squarespace or Behance offering tutorials and templates to help you create your portfolio. Keep it structured and easy to view, with 4 must-haves: intro, work (your previous experience), services (what you offer) and contact info.
Make your portfolio shine by highlighting your fave projects that showcase your passions, skills, and experiences. Show off your accomplishments and promote yourself. Have a dedicated contact page or form so potential clients or hiring managers can easily get in touch.
A professional portfolio is a must-have tool in the crypto industry to stand out and advance your career.
Search for Your Dream Job
Now that you’ve done your research, made valuable connections in the industry and developed your portfolio, it’s time to start the search for your new dream job. There are several places you can search for a job in the crypto industry:
- Cryptocurrency job boards: websites such as BitcoinJobs (formerly Coinality) and Cryptocurrency Jobs list job openings specifically in the crypto industry.
- Online job search engines: websites like Indeed, LinkedIn, and Glassdoor allow you to search for jobs in a specific industry, including the crypto industry.
- Crypto company websites: Many crypto companies list job openings on their own websites, so check the "Careers" or "Jobs" section of the company's website you're interested in.
- Industry events and conferences: Attending crypto events and conferences can provide opportunities to network and learn about potential job openings.
- Social media: Platforms like LinkedIn, Twitter, and Reddit have communities dedicated to the crypto industry, where job postings and job search discussions frequently occur.
Remember to also network with professionals in the crypto industry and consider reaching out to companies or individuals whose work you admire.
Apply for a Job
With the right preparation, you can set yourself apart from the competition. Start by researching the company you're interested in and looking for news and reviews online. See if some of your connections from your network work for the company or could help you get introduced to current employees.
Update your portfolio so it fits the needs of the company and consider including a cover letter to tell an interesting story about yourself.
When submitting your application, make sure to answer each question thoughtfully and shape your answers to the needs of the company. After submitting your application, wait about two weeks before following up. This shows professionalism and gives hiring managers time to review candidates.
Before applying, it's important to review your social media presence and make sure it is professional and in line with your desired image.
The crypto world is growing rapidly and offers a wide range of opportunities for professionals from diverse backgrounds. For getting a job in the industry, it's essential to understand the fundamentals of cryptocurrencies, build valuable connections, and keep an eye out for job opportunities.
With the upcoming bull market, it's likely to become easier to secure a new job as many companies are expected to ramp up their hiring efforts.
Good luck with your job search in the exciting and dynamic world of cryptocurrency!